Donate Now

http://adopttogether.org/thekirklands/

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Heather's Gotcha' Day Jitters

Yesterday, our adoption agency hosted a webinar to walk us through our trip to China. It was quite an informative meeting...to say the least. I thought I'd share some of the process with you...

We actually go to the capital city of Ava-Yin's province. We stay there a week before traveling on to Guangzhou , which is the Ellis Island of China. All immigrants pass through Guangzhou.

I'm not really sure what I expected about Gotcha' Day (the day we are given our daughter), but hearing it verbalized put some butterflies in my tummy, for sure.

We go to the Civil Affairs building with our tour guide/translator. There, Ava-Yin is brought to us by one of her caregivers. While we are introducing ourselves to Ava-Yin, our translator will ask a list of questions to the caregiver, in an attempt to find out anything and everything he can about little Ava-Yin.

And that's it. We fill out some paperwork, say goodbye to the caregiver.  And off we go with Ava-Yin. Just the three of us.

 The thought puts a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes-to imagine how scared this little person must be at these strangers taking her away from her life.

I'm a little scared, too, Ava-Yin. But, finally, we can be scared together.

No comments:

Post a Comment